Monday, March 05, 2007

Apologies, Jealousy and Miracles

Alright so I said that I wouldn't comment further on the subject but hey, a girl can change her mind. I understand that I've upset some people. Sorry. I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth. I would just like to clarify a few things. First, I love this game, respect this league, and give props to every girl who steps out on the field and goes balls out. Those are the people I admire on my team and on every team. I also will give credit where credit is due. The games that we have lost this season are games where we were simply outplayed. Plain as that. I believe that we have improved drastically in the last two games and if our game against Davis is any proof, we've got heart like no other but we did lose soundly in the first two games. Secondly, maybe I shouldn't have generalized to entire teams being dirty. It was a lazy statement. What I should have said is that there have been instances that I highly disapprove of but those most likely have to do with individuals. All teams, including my own, have individuals who do questionable things and those players can create a bad rep for the team. I shouldn't have labeled whole teams but honestly I didn't expect anyone would read this and so it never occured to me that I should be more specific. To the accusation that my team plays dirty, I would say that I believe we play a fairly clean game but you are free to form your own opinion of us. Also, I don't equate injuries with playing dirty. I don't blame anyone for my torn ACL. I went into a tackle like I had a million times before and for some reason it popped. Injuries happen in a contact sport. I get that. So it wasn't the injury count that led me to believe that the game was dirty it was the verb "punched."

Once again I apologize for giving offense. It was not my intention. Now that I know that people might actually read what I babble, I'll try to edit/clarify better. However, if you are going to read this please remember that I am human with all the flaws that entails. So if I write something stupid feel free to correct me but don't get so angry that you lose sleep. Nothing that I write will ever be so important that it should envoke that much of an emotional response.

Good luck to all in playoffs. Hope to see you at Sweet 16s.

Now that hopefully that is over and done with and everyone is reasonably satisfied, I have three completely different points. One is a rant, one is a boo and the last is a huge but tentative hooray.

First, the rant. Saturday's a Rugby Day credited some photos of the Stanford vs. Chico match to the CSU Chico newspaper so I went to the site in hopes that there'd be more photos. No such luck but there was a pdf file of the front of the most recent issue. Know what was on the front page? The game! With a gigantic photo! I bet we'd have to win nationals to make it into the Daily Cal. Even then there'd probably be a huge article about the men winning for the bajillionth time and at the end it would say something like, "And the women's team also won that day." I'm jealous.

Second, the boo. We have news that the third seed from our league will most likely be facing a military school for Sweet 16s. Basically if we make Sweet 16s, that's us. Damn. They're just so bloody fit.

Now for the tentative hooray. Our game against Reno is this coming weekend. It's our only home game of the season and we're scheduled to play on Witter Rugby Field! FINALLY! I'm a bit bitter that I won't actually get to play there but I'm truly happy for our seniors. It will be so cool for the seniors to play their last league game on campus on the actual home rugby field.

1 comment:

Blondie said...

Hi Lee -

I should start warning every new blogger that with more exposure comes more likelihood that someone will disagree with something we have said. We all learn it the hard way. :)

So I apologize if linking to you caused some added stress. That said, I hope you keep writing and talking about your team and the other great teams out in Cali. I think you have a good voice for blogging.