Thursday, January 25, 2007

Stanford Tournament

This past weekend was the Stanford Invitational and it was a great way to gear up for our season. Saturday we played BYU, UCLA, and Oregon. Sunday we played Colorado, Stanford, and Davis. We ended the tournament 3-3 in 4th place but like always there is so much more to the story besides the numbers. BYU was the only game that was a true disappointment. It served as a wake up call and we improved from there. Although we ended up losing the games we had a great comeback against Stanford and the game against Davis was decided by a penalty kick in sudden death. Apparently, our playing caught the attention of others. The Goff called our game against Davis the most exciting of the tournament and the ref also seemed impressed in his report.

I really enjoyed playing. I was scrumhalf for the entire Oregon game and for half of the Colorado game. I played the best I've ever played in the Oregon game. Something clicked and I made some key tackles. Colorado didn't go quite so well but I'm improving and that's always a good feeling. I'm cautiously hoping that I might have found a position home.

This coming weekend is the beginning of league season and I'm so excited. The tournament eased my worries a lot. There is plenty of room for improvement but this past weekend proved that we have the talent, the potential, and most importantly the heart to win. We fielded a bunch of different line ups in each game and they worked. People adapted to each other and that will be key in the next couple of months.

Stanford here we come and we're itching for an upset! I believe, I believe, I believe!

No comments: