Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Cal vs. Stanford

I honestly thought that we had a chance this year but it wasn't meant to be. The B-side game went fairly well considering that we played down 1 or 2 players the entire time and that they had U-19 players on the field. The A-side game was disheartening. At the half, the score was 5-9 with Stanford up and then in the second half Stanford just racked up the points. Some of those tries were from lucky bounces and one was from a blatent penalty that wasn't called but even without those points we lost by a wide margin. This is not to say we didn't play well because I believe that we did at times but fitness was a huge factor and they were able to exploit the fact that we had inexperienced wings. I still think we're a good team but it'll all depend on if we can bounce back from this. Chico is coming up and once again I believe we can win. We just have to want it badly and improve on what we did wrong in the Stanford game.

I, however, won't be a part of the bouncing back. About 35 minutes into the B-side game, I went into a tackle and heard a pop coming from my left knee. I went to the ER Saturday evening but they couldn't tell me much of anything. Today, the doctor confirmed what I was afraid of. I have a torn ACL. I haven't had a MRI yet but he manually examined my knee and he's pretty certain that I tore it. It's all just so frustrating because I spent last season on the sidelines and I'm going to spend this season the same way. I was really looking forward to playing this season because I could feel myself improving and now I'm looking at surgery and being unable to play rugby for at least 6 months, if not much longer.

No comments: