Saturday, May 19, 2007

Excuse me?!

I know that some other blogs have covered this already but it annoyed me enough to post about it too. College Rugby America is a website that claims to be "the official site of Women's College Rugby." On the righthand side of the page is an announcement saying that "the nation's first college women's rugby game will be played this fall." Drop the act. Yes, you can go on and on about the linguistic technicalities of "varsity rugby," "college rugby," "college club rugby," and all the other possible combinations but in the end it's all a bunch of BS. I play college rugby. When I step on the field my jersey says Cal on it. We, the other teams in our league, and the teams across the nation who compete to be at nationals all play college rugby. Don't you dare take away from the commitment we have for this sport. Someday, I hope, there will be NCAA women's rugby but that day isn't here yet, so for now we are college rugby. Plus, I'm a little confused. Are you the home of women's college rugby or the EIU women's rugby page under a different name? I'm sure EIU has some great athletes but they don't have the only ruggers who exemplify "courage, character, accountability, integrity and sportsmanship" while maintaining a 3.0 or above GPA. And you can applaud your so-called record breaking winning season all you want but until you play against the best (Penn State, Stanford, Army, Chico, etc.) your program cannot claim to be the best.

More could be said but not anything fit for a PG movie. Plus, I think my coach checks in on me every once in awhile. *waves* Oh and on that note, I was recently informed that my blog came up in a conversation during Grizzlies a weekend ago. *waves again* I'm still surprised people read this but thanks.

No comments: